Sewing along. And sewing. And sewing.
What is done so far.
- Second fitting is complete.
- The back insert is sewn to the body of the dress.
- Lace discarded from the butt bow is sewn onto the back insert to cover the zipper and provided some visual continuity.
- Those annoying little snaps are sewn down so the applique that crosses the zipper doesn’t flap around.
- The pearl ormanentation on the right side of the back is complete.
- Hooks for the train to attach to the back have been replaced on the right side.
What is left to do.
- Ornamentation on the left side of the back needs to be sewn on.
- Hooks for the left side of the train must be affixed.
- Attempt to clean the lace at the hem of the dress that was sullied on the first wearing.
- Attach tulle to the lining that will hang below the current lace to increase the length of the skirt, making it more in proportion to my cousin’s height.
Had a doctor’s visit this week and turns out my nagging respiratory infection is bronchitits. My ribs hurt from the coughing and holding this dress up for hand-sewing has been hell. I’ve only been able to withstand 30-45 minutes at a stretch until I came upon this unusual solution today. We have an out-of-town visitor so the futon is laid flat instead of in its usual position as a couch. Wanting to watch a little TV while doing the repetitive work on this dress I decided to lay the dress flat on the stretched out futon mattress. It worked like a charm! Sitting on a nice firm kitchen chair that was supportive of my back pulled up to the futon, I had all of this wonderful room to lay out the dress. I didn’t have to worry about it dragging the floor and I was able to work for about 2 1/2 hours. I got so much more done than I anticipated. I am going to keep the futon in mind as a work surface for other large projects.
Tomorrow I hope to finish the left side of the back and then onto the next bit of uncharted territory, spot-cleaning bridal lace. YIKES!