They changed my meds!
Sometimes people say this tongue-in-cheek after they have experienced a marked improvement in emotional demeanour and now I understand how that phrase entered the vernacular. My pregnancy nausea is severe enough and long enough to warrant meds. The first meds made me a walking zombie. The doctor changed my meds and it is like I am Rip Van Winkle waking up after a long nap! My mind and interest in life are plugged back in. I am so thankful. I can sew again!
After my long break from sewing I was eager to get cracking and tackle a growing problem: my belly. My pants keep falling down and I need to devise a solution. I think knit pants will stretch with me through the months and if they are custom fit maybe the constant pulling will be eliminated.
But first I needed some dirt cheap knit fabric. Pants often take more than one practice muslin and the fabric stores don’t have that huge selection of $1.00/yard fabric that they used to sell. I did not want to pay huge sums for practice muslin fabric and that is where a timely article by sewing blogger Erica Bunker of Erica B’s DIY Style came to my aid. Ms. Bunker ran an article on Walmart as a fabric source which triggered a vague memory. Sure enough, when I checked out my local store, they had a bottom of the barrel fabric bin of bolts going for $5.00 for 5 yards. Perfect!
I selected a grody see-through knit that I only find in cheapo fabric bins, or perversely, as overlays on prom dresses seen at high-end department stores, (which has always caused me to question the cost of such gowns since I feel like I am being conned by the designers into thinking that high prices must mean high quality – but that is an aside.)
Cheap fabric in hand I went home and began working on my practice muslins. I wanted to make knit pull-ons and leggings. I used Butterick 5539 and the leggings pattern I made earlier using Kwik-Sew’s Swim and Action Wear, a pattern compilation and instruction book by Kerstin Martensson.
The Knit Pull-Ons
I altered the front piece as I would for a prominent belly on the first muslin.
Here is the result. Looks like the stuff I remember pregnant ladies wearing in the 1980’s; voluminous. Oh so comfortable, but my ego could not stand looking even larger than I already do. Back to the drawing board.
On the next shot I cut a portion out of the front pattern piece, laid it on the fabric fold and using the pivot method, made a larger piece to serve as a maternity panel.
In order to get the crotch depth correct I used the pants sloper I drafted this summer. I laid that on the pattern pieces and made the necessary alterations. I also took a flexible curve reading of my belly and checked that against the front pattern piece.
The result was a very comfortable pair of pants on the first try!
I reviewed making leggings in an earlier post. But they were a bit tight. And short, as Kwik Sew only takes the legs down to capri length. I lengthened the leg enough to have some folds at the ankle, and I added 3/4 inch to every seam for a little extra room.
The result: If only my experience fitting non-maternity pants typically went as well! Again, I had a wearable pair of leggings first try.
The practice muslins complete I am busy sewing up pants in fashion fabric. I hope to have some to show you in Thursday’s post along with any other practice muslins.
Next Post: Thursday, April 21, 2011:Completed Pants to show and hopefully more practice muslins.