Spring Tees Finished and Why Does Burda Shape Their Sleeve Patterns So Narrow?

The spring tees are finished.  Here they are.  That brings me to ten tees, but two are iffy, which makes the required eight.

Now on to blouses.  The wardrobe list  shows 16 blouses, eight for work, and eight casual.  As a SAHM I am redefining the work category as dressy-casual-out-and-about wear.  And casual is defined as a bit more comfortable, things I would wear at home. 

 Sixteen blouses is a lot but I am going to give it a shot.  I plan to use eight different patterns and make two versions of each.  That should cut down on the time somewhat. And if I see any great sales I am free to fill in the corners with some RTW.

My first is a simple camp shirt.  Here is my practice muslin of a camp shirt using Burda 8673, option A. Often I have issues with Burda sleeves and this time was no different.  I made three sleeve renditions and the results remained so-so.  Three is my typical limit before I scrap a pattern. 

Two very hazy photos of the practice muslin sleeves. Nothing I did made the sleeve any better.

I have had this problem before with Burda sleeves and now I am considering trashing all of my Burda top and jacket patterns as they all seem designed the same way.   I find the fit and design of the torso to be very flattering so I hate to lose the patterns, but I have yet to get a sleeve to fit comfortably.

The sleeve cap does not look wide enough to cover an arm and it is sloped so differently than the armscye.

Can anyone tell me why the sleeve cap is so differently shaped than the armscye of the shirt?  Has anyone else encountered the same problem with Burda?

Is there a correction or should I throw my Burda’s away?

Next Post: Tuesday, February 8, 2011: Working on another camp shirt using a different patternmaker.

Advertisements

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Ellen
    Feb 05, 2011 @ 11:09:53

    I haven’t actually sewn with Burda patterns, so can’t comment on that, but I have found lately that I’ve been having problems with sleeves and their tightness, too. It’s a very frustrating problem.

    Reply

  2. Sister
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 00:49:22

    I made a Burda tshirt and felt like I couldn’t raise my arms at all. I also find the Jalie sleeves to be very small. I think Amy from Louisiana gave me a suggestion for adding a slit to the sleeve, but I couldn’t get it to look right. I like the Jalie enough to rework the sleeves, but the Burda was so basic and blah that I’m done with it.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: