Lately I have been attempting to take RTW tees and polos and cut them down for a better fit. A few weeks ago I had my first attempt with mixed results.
This is my second attempt. The results are still mixed.
The polo began as a men’s XL and as you can see the shirt overwhelms me.
I did take in the shoulder line. I left the side seams loose since attempt #1 taught me that polo shirt cotton can be somewhat see-through if fitted too closely to the body. Added darts. I also took off quite a few inches at the hem.
I got it to wearable. I can garden in it. It is comfortable. But I stopped any further finessing after that.
I could have taken up the sleeve hem for a more cap-like sleeve but I felt that a small sleeve would look strange with the larger men’s collar and placket.
Actually it is that collar and placket that is making me abandon the whole idea of cutting down a men’s polo. No matter how well I cut down the shirt I feel that the man-size collar does not flatter my feminine shoulders and neckline. Even after a dramatic cutback on the hem and a shoulder alteration, I still look like a girl wearing boys’ clothes.
Not the effect I am seeking.
The reason I was using mens’ polos was that plus-size womens’ polos in RTW are often just as oversized. I thought I might be able to buy mens’ shirts cheaply at the thrift since polos are plentiful in the mens’ section, but there are hardly any in the womens’. I was reluctant to pay full RTW prices as I am prone to wearing such shirts while doing yard work, etc.
Good try. Didn’t work out. My next idea is to find a source of inexpensive womens’ plus-size polos and cut them down instead as they will probably have smaller collars and plackets so at least it will still be a recognizably feminine shirt when I am done. I am going to check out the pattern by Clotidle mentioned by Connie in the last post.
But right now I am taking a break from refashioning as I finish up my spring t-shirts. Only two more tees to go and I am done with one of my wardrobe categories!
Next Post: Thursday, January 27, 2011: Hopefully an update with photos of how well my spring sewing is going.